Thursday 13 February 2014

Ingestibles

I went to Pho vietnamese restaurant for lunch today.



I had veggie spring rolls as a starter. They came with lettuce and mint leaves to wrap them in, and a peanut dipping sauce. (8/10)


I had a bowl of pho. It was MASSIVE and so tasty. It came with a plate of fresh herbs (basil, cilantro, mint, mystery herb), sprouts, a lime wedge, and some INSANELY hot red pepper slices. I ate one tiny little bit of pepper with the soup and nearly died.


There way way too much soup for me to eat in one sitting so I brought the rest home, it'll be a lovely snack later this evening. (10/10)


I've been thoroughly enjoying how very little Valentine's Day propaganda there is around here. It's here, but it seems a lot less prevalent. Maybe it's because there's so much other sensory information to compete with. I found a trace of it, however, in the busyness of a chocolate shop. I do like the occasional bit of chocolate, and they were offering tasty samples that definitely proved the chocolate is worthy of investment. I bought an assorted pack, so if I want to bring some home to NL with me I'll have a better idea of which kinds to get.


I decided I'd eat one or two a day with tea.

Here are the standings so far:
Strawberry Truffle (10/10)
Blueberry Truffle (8.5/10)
Apple Cider Truffle (9/10)
Rhubarb & Ginger Cheesecake (8.5/10)
Sour Cherry Truffle (9/10)

To be fair I only had a nibble of the Rhubarb & Ginger Cheesecake so I only overshot my goal by 200%.


I also found a confectionary (as if I need more candy). They had many, many, glass jars of different kinds of liquorice. I tried a couple (more free samples)! The double salted liquorice was not optimal (2/10). Another kind was really chewy, like the consistency of gummy bears. It tasted nice, but the texture was odd (6/10). I settled on these liquorice cats. I'm not sure why they are cat-shaped as the others were just in a standard button or strand format. Regardless, the cats won (8/10).

Also worth noting - a couple of days ago I had supper at Sabai Thai Gastrobar. Red veggie curry with jasmine rice. Really inexpensive and SO tasty. A definite 10/10.

When I write these food-review type posts I kind of give myself the impression I'm boasting about all the delicious foods I get to eat, however I really find food to be one of the most satisfying things you can experience on a day-to-day basis so I'm going to go ahead and keep posting about food. Also - for any of you who are going on the Harlow trip this summer, you'll be stopping in Brighton for a day and you'll probably have time to grab supper somewhere. You can use me as an eating guide!

1 comment:

  1. Golly, that all looks delectable!
    The chocolate looks sublime.
    Love the condiment bottles at the pho place and the plate of herbs. Keep up the food posts!:)

    ReplyDelete