Friday 7 February 2014

London

I saw a live rat for the first time today. It was frantically running along the edge of the tube tracks while I was waiting on the platform. 

I touched a 3D-printed object the first time today. I’ve been curious as to what they feel like ever since learning about the technology. 

I’m staying at one of the YHA hostels in London. This is my first time experiencing the shared-room thing. There are 6 other women/girls in the room I’m sleeping in and it definitely got noisy last night when everyone came to bed! Otherwise, it’s comfortable and feels very safe. I would stay here again - although I still have tonight to sleep through, so the verdict will have to be determined tomorrow.

It was really neat waking up in London to the sounds of the city. Also, very convenient to be able to hop out of bed and jump on the tube (which, thankfully, has returned to normal after being on strike for two days). My first stop today was the Tate Modern. I arrived a little before it opened so I took a chilly walk along the Southbank and snapped a couple photos. The Tate only had one big, paid show on (Paul Klee, didn't go to it), which means that the rest of the galleries were free! There was SO much area to cover, so I went through it pretty quickly. There was some good stuff, lots of famous pieces by prolific artists, blah blah blah. Always interesting to see in the flesh. There was a room dedicated to Joseph Beuys, I liked that. Saw some stuff that was relevant to my print research. My brain is too tired to write about that at the moment, though.


It started out quite overcast and drizzly.


Saint Pigeon


He drinks a whiskey drink
He drinks a vodka drink
He drinks a lager drink
He drinks a cider drink


Peak


My legs in a minimalist sculpture


Neon tube lights are so hip right now

Boys oh Beuys

By the time I was finished looking around the Tate, the sun was shining! I headed to the East End to see a Hannah Hoch photomontage show at the Whitechapel Gallery. I wasn't allowed to take photos. It was a pretty neat show. I grabbed a kebab roll from Lahore Kebab House while in the East End as well. Very tasty stuff!


From the Millennium Bridge


Art rockin the park outside of the Serpentine Gallery


Arshile Gorky puppets! He uses them in videos.



The Serpentine Gallery has an addition - the Serpentine Sackler Gallery - just a 10 minute walk down the road. You can see a bit of it in the corner of this photo. The white part is actually just the cafe.


Jake and Dinos Chapman! Lots of dark humour there.






So there were like 100 very convincing KKK mannequins placed throughout the gallery as if they were viewing the show. They were all wearing rainbow wool socks. In the theatre where they were showing the video, you had to sit with a bunch of them in the dark as well.


:)


Animals :)


Seeds? :)

While I was taking the above photo, my phone rang unexpectedly! Dad called to see if he could get through to my UK number. One thing I don't fare well with is not having people around to speak to - it's exhausting being stuck with my own thoughts as a form of socializing. It was nice to get a surprise call from home. Thanks, Dad :). It's funny how in a city with so many people you can feel so isolated. I feel bad for the occasional soul who strikes up a conversation with me (barista, hostel roommate, etc) because I latch onto the opportunity to chat out of an innate need to communicate with other human beings and keep them talking probably longer than they'd like. A thing also happens where I kind of forget how to speak (after like 12 hours of silence) and I start forming my words wrong. I've only been on my own for two days. I didn't realize I liked people so much!


This was a spherical video projection of the Earth at the Science Museum.

After the Serpentine Galleries, I headed to the Science Museum and the V&A Museum. Had a somewhat brief look around both museums, then headed to Wagamama for supper. Tasty as always!

I'm heading to Brighton on a bus in the morning. I'm looking forward to getting there and exploring the place I'm going to be living for the next 2 months. Will post again soon when I've been revived!


2 comments:

  1. Awesome day! Great photos. I wish I was there to talk to you about it all. I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. fun to see your perspective of London. Love seeing through your eyes. Love the Earth projection from the science Museum. What an amazing day you had discovering the treasures in that big city! Melissa

    ReplyDelete