Friday 14 February 2014

Some details of Brighton

Old boot scrapers! These neat little details are built into many of the posts that divide the townhouse properties. You can see how the paint on a couple of them is split into two colours. I think I'm going to use these within an art project. I like how they're all uniquely fashioned, and the surrounding environment differs with each one, too. Note the tea bag.










I pass this thing every day when I walk back and forth to the town centre. It's called the Pepper Pot! I assume its shape is what inspired its title. It was built as part of the Queen's Park villa to house the water tank and pump, apparently. I guess it's had a few uses over the years; the Brighton Daily Mail newspaper was printed and published there, it served as an observation tower during WWII, and at one point, it housed a public loo.



There's one particular shop that draws my attention when I pass by it on my daily route into town. The surrounding shops can hardly keep their heat in for people entering and leaving, however this shop is closed. It's static, sitting grudgingly between the livelihood of its neighbours. It's dim inside. There's a paper sign taped to the window that says 'Closed due to bereavement'. If you look a little closer at the interior, you can see that there are posters on the floor that were seemingly ripped from the door, and toppled reams of 'Thank You's, 'Congratulations', 'Happy Birthday's, 'Good Luck's, and 'Our Condolences' are scattered about. It's a greeting card shop. I think I'm drawn to it because there's a story in there. There was definitely some kind of human whirlwind that upturned all of those blank cards within a moment, related to the bereavement or not? I've always thought pre-made greeting cards were a bit trivial; whatever happened here, a store full of all the greetings in the world couldn't help itself.




P.S. Happy Valentine's day




3 comments:

  1. I love the photo with the green on the left. That bereaved shop is intriguing, and the pepper pot is a nice idea. <3
    All the love in the world!
    WB

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those British are ingenious! Do they need the boot scrappers as much now I wonder? We like the pepper pot too! I can see the cogs turning for a short story about the grudging little shop amidst the bustle of commerce all round it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of the boot scrapers were full of either cobwebs, rubbish, or little leafy green sprouts - I don't think they're ever used for boot scraping these days! An interesting social concept.

      Delete